Sunday, August 7, 2011

image from here.
Excuse me while I whinge for a minute.
For the past year or so i've been taking photos strictly on a film camera. It has been so exciting and eye-opening, waiting for the perfect moment to take a photo and then the anticipation of seeing it developed and usually being something completely different, and better, than what I had imagined. 
My most recent role of film has been in my camera for a few months now. There's pictures of springtime, and camping, food I baked and plants i'm growing, concerts I went to and friends I hung out with. I can see all the pictures so clearly in my mind. The other evening I went to take my last picture on the film, I snapped it and then waited for that audible click telling me the role was finished, nothing. I snapped another picture, nothing again. Giant pit in my stomach. 
I put the film in wrong, I wasn't paying attention. Months of photos and images gone. 
At first my frustration and disappointment were awful. How could I be so stupid? There's no way to ever get back those images and memories! I'll never be able to share them with others! What an Idiot! 
I just wanted to cry. 
It's been a couple of days now and i'm still pretty torn up about it. However i'm trying to think differently about the whole thing. It's just a little speck in the big picture, i'll probably have completely forgotten about it in a couple of months. And why do I need a camera to remember the lovely things I see and do? All those images that I took on film are still in my head, I remember them perfectly. I just need to let it go, take a deep breath, and put in a new role of film and start over. 
*Siiiiigh*

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, that must've been a terrible feeling, but it's true that those will be great memories, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh heart dropping moment! I have a terrible memory so losing photos makes me distraught, I'm glad you can see the bright side :)

    ReplyDelete